FacebookTwitterRSS FeedPinterest

Scripture Memory: Protection.   
VERSE : Psalm 121:1-2 
“I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.”

* * *

O Worship the LORD in the Beauty of Holiness

23 November 2014
8 am & 11am Worship Service
Rev Charles Seet (The End-Time Deception, 2 Thes 2:9-12)
6:00 pm Evening Service
Rev Eric Kwan (Make No Provision for the Flesh, Rom 13:8-13)

30 November 2014
8 am & 11am Worship Service
Rev Colin Wong (Prepare to Meet Thy God, Amos 4:12)
6:00 pm Evening Service
Rev Charles Seet (Warning Against Judging Brethren, Rom 14:1-12)

* * *


(Extracted from Jerusalem to Irian Jaya – A Biographical History of Christian Missions, by Ruth A. Tucker)

David Livingstone

Livingstone was not the “super-saint” so many of his early biographers created. Rather he was a frail, temperamental human being with serious personality flaws that hindered his ministry throughout his entire life. But despite his weaknesses, he was the man God used more than any other to focus the world’s attention on the appalling needs of Africa.

Livingstone was born in Scotland and was raised in humble surroundings, but his brilliant mind and insatiable desire for learning impelled him to seek a higher station in life. His long days of toil at a textile mill beginning at the age of ten did not halt his education. He bought a Latin grammar book with his first week’s pay, and he continued his schooling by enrolling in evening classes. He survived his difficult years of schooling by snatching glances at a book propped up on his spinning jenny and poring over homework assignments until midnight.

Livingstone was raised in a pious church-going family. After his conversion as a teenager, he planned to become a missionary doctor to China but family priorities delayed further education until 1836, when he was 23 years old. Even then his education was restricted. He studied during the winter term at Anderson’s College in Glasgow and spent his summers back at the textile mills. He studied both medicine and theology, and in 1840 he was ready to begin his missionary career.

Livingstone’s plans to sail for China were foiled by international politics. Missionary work to China was being curtailed due to friction between Britain and China, which eventually led to the Opium War. But in the meantime Livingstone had been introduced to the veteran missionary to Africa, Robert Moffat. Moffat had a profound influence over the eager missionary candidate and tantalized him with thrilling opportunities for evangelism beyond Kuruman in “the vast plain to the north” where he had “sometimes seen, in the morning sun, the smoke of a thousand villages, where no missionary had ever been.”

It was with great anticipation that Livingstone sailed for Africa in December 1840. After spending 13 weeks in language study aboard ship, he arrived at the Cape in March of 1841. He immediately fell in love with Africa and thoroughly enjoyed his overland travel to Kuruman. He was not so impressed though, with African missionary work. He sharply criticized, and rightly so, the work at Capetown, where too many missionaries concentrated in a small area discouraged indigenous leadership.

In 1843 Livingstone set out for the wooded and well-watered area of Mabosta, 200 miles north, to establish a second Kuruman. Mabosta became Livingstone’s first African home. Here he first encountered the ever-present dangers of the African jungle. While taking part in a lion hunt he was attacked by one of the beasts and was badly mauled. Though he was grateful to have survived, thanks to his brave African companions and a thick jacket, his left arm was severely injured and maimed for life.

Three months after the incident, Livingstone was feeling well enough to travel – especially since it involved important business. He headed for Kuruman “to pay his addresses” to the Moffats’ oldest daughter, Mary, who at 23 had just returned with her parents from England. Livingstone’s period of convalescence no doubt convinced him that there were drawbacks to being single. What Mary’s immediate response was is unclear, but later that year Livingstone wrote to a friend, “I am, it seems, after all to be hooked to Miss Moffat,” whom he described to another friend as being a “sturdy” and “matter-of-fact lady.”

The wedding took place at Kuruman in January 1845 and in March the Livingstones left for Mabosta; but their stay there was short lived. Later that year, after delivering his first child, Livingstone pulled up his roots and moved his family to Chonwane, 40 miles north. The time at Chonwane was a happy one for the Livingstones, but it only lasted 18 months. Severe drought in the area necessitated a move with the tribe northwest to the Kolobeng River. In the summer of 1847, after their second child was born, the Livingstones moved into their third home.

For seven years the Livingstones lived a semi-nomadic life in Africa. Sometimes Mary and the children stayed home alone, while at other times she brought the children and accompanied her wandering husband. Neither situation was satisfactory. By 1852 Livingstone had come to realize that African exploratory trips were no place for a mother and her little children. So in March of 1852 he saw Mary and the children off from Capetown en route to England. How could he sacrifice his family for African exploration? “Nothing but a strong conviction that the step will tend to the Glory of Christ would make me orphanize my children.”

Livingstone’s first and greatest expedition took him across the continent of Africa along the Zambezi River. Beginning in central Africa, they followed the river northwest to the coast of Luanda. It was a hazardous journey with continual threats from hostile tribes and the dread of the deadly African fever, but Livingstone was never tempted to turn back. Although he was primarily an explorer, he never entirely abandoned evangelism. With him he carried a “magic lantern” (an early version of a slide projector) with pictures depicting biblical scenes. He was sowing the seed for future missionary work. After six months of arduous travel, Livingstone and his men made history when they came out on the coast alive.

Despite offers from ship captains to return him to England, Livingstone turned back and started his trek down the Zambezi to the east coast. His journey east moved at a slower pace, hampered by dozens of bouts with African fever. In 12 months he reached Linyanti, his original starting point, and from there he continued on to the great falls that he named Victoria, in honor of his queen.

From this point, Livingstone’s single aim was to explore the Zambezi as a possible trade route from the East. The more he encountered the inhuman slave traffic of the Portuguese and Arabs, the more convinced he became that only the combination of “Commerce and Christianity” could save Africa. He was well aware that foreign slavers could not stay in business without the Africans’ cooperation (one tribe capturing slaves from an enemy tribe), and his solution was to bring legitimate commerce to Africa; and this, he believed, could only be done if a navigable trade route could be found.

Although the Livingstone expedition did not follow the Zambezi the entire route, Livingstone nevertheless arrived on the coast in May of 1856, confidently proclaiming the Zambezi to be navigable. Back in England in December of 1856, after 15 years in Africa, Livingstone was heralded as a national hero. After only three days with his family, he went to London where he launched a year-long whirlwind speaking tour before adulating crowds, accepting some of the nation’s highest awards.

The remaining 15 years of Livingstone’s life could never recapture the glory of 1857. He returned to Africa with an official entourage for his second expedition, only to discover that the Zambezi River was not navigable. The section of the river he had passed by on his previous journey contained rocky gorges and white rapids. Disappointed, he turned northward (nearer the east coast) to explore the Shire River and Lake Nyasa. Unfortunately, slavers followed in the wake of his discoveries, and thus, for a time, his exploration was doing more to open the area to slave traffic than to missions.

Livingstone returned to England in 1864, this time to much less acclaim. His second expedition had not been the success he had hoped it would be, and his reputation had been tarnished. Most of the members of his party, once enamored by their fearless leader, were complaining bitterly about his autocratic rule and difficult personality.

In 1865 Livingstone returned to Africa for the last time to begin his third and final expedition, this time for the purpose of discovering the source of the Nile. He took no Europeans with him, and in fact, did not see another European for nearly seven years. It was a difficult time for him. His body was racked with malnutrition, fever, and bleeding hemorrhoids, and often his supplies were stolen by Arab slave traders.

Yet it was not an unhappy period of his life. While he failed to discover the source of the Nile, he made several other significant discoveries, and he was at peace with himself and his surroundings (except for the ever-present slave trade that tortured his conscience). As time passed, the Africans became used to the bearded, toothless, haggard old man who often spoke to them of his Savior.

During Livingstone’s last years in Africa, rumors surfaced that he had died. Though his reputation had been marred, people the world over still held him in awe and were strangely curious about this eccentric old man in the wilds of Africa. It was this curiosity that spurred the editor of the New York Herald to send his versatile and ambitious reporter, Henry Stanley, to find Livingstone dead or alive. After several months of searching, Stanley caught up with Livingstone at Ujiji, near Lake Tanganyika, late in 1871.

Stanley was a welcome sight to Livingstone. He brought medicine, food, and other supplies that Livingstone desperately needed. And perhaps more importantly, he brought companionship and news from the outside world. The two men developed a close and tender relationship: and, in a moving tribute, Stanley described the months they shared together: “For four months and four days I lived with him in the same hut, or the same boat, or the same tent, and I never found a fault in him. I went to Africa as prejudiced against religion as the worst infidel in London. To a reporter like myself, who had only to deal with wards, mass meetings, and political gatherings, sentimental matters were quite out of my province. But there came to me a long time for reflection. I was put there away from the worldly world. I saw this solitary man there, and asked myself, “Why does he stop here? What is it that inspires him?” For months after we met I found myself listening to him, wondering at the old man carrying out the words, “Leave all and follow Me.” But little by little, seeing his piety, his gentleness, his zeal, his earnestness, and how he went quietly about his business, I was converted by him, although he had not tried to do it.”

Livingstone lived a little more than a year after Stanley departed. His African servants found him dead, kneeling beside his cot on the morning of May 1, 1873. They loved the old man and knew of no other way to pay their respects than to deliver his body and personal papers to his former associates at the coast. After burying his heart under a tree, the body was dried in the hot African sun until it was mummified, and then carried overland 1,500 miles to the coast.

In England, Livingstone was given a state funeral at Westminster Abbey, attended by dignitaries from all over the country. It was a day of mourning for his children, who came to say good-bye to the father they had never really known; but it was a particularly sad hour for the 78 year old Robert Moffat, who slowly walked down the aisle in front of the casket bearing the man who decades before in that same city had caught a vision of “a thousand villages where no missionary had ever been.”                                                                           (To be continued)

* * *


Date: 30th November 2014 (next Sunday)

Time: 8 am & 11.00 am

Topic: Prepare to Meet Thy God (Amos 4:12)

Speakers: Rev Colin Wong (English Service)

Rev Kew See Seong (Mandarin/Hokkien)

Members are encouraged to invite their friends and relatives.

* * *

EDD is organizing a STREET EVANGELISM at Orchard Road. Please come and join us.

Date:                           20th Dec 2014 (Saturday)

Prayer Time :             6.00pm in Beulah House 

Departing Time:        6.30 pm (leave church to outside CK Tang Entrance)

Evangelism Time:    7.00 to 8.30 pm (Evangelism time at Orchard Road walkway )


* * *



We congratulate the following who have achieved  a score of 70% and above:

1.   Angela Tan

2.   Annette Kunst-Teh

3.   Betrand Lam

4.   Carina Teh

5.   Chan Sok Kheng

6.   Charmaine Low

7.   Claire Tan

8.   Daniel Tan

9.   Eunice Chew

10.       Flora Lau Seck Hong

11.       Hannah Koh

12.       Ian Liu

13.       Iris Loe

14.       Janice Lee

15.       Jedidiah Koh

16.       Jennifer Goh

17.       Jireh Loo

18.       Joelle Heng Wee En

19.       Joyce Ang

20.       Kimberly Yeap

21.       Leong Li Peng

22.       Leong Sow Mun

23.       Leslie Tan

24.       Nicholas Lim Song Ping

25.       Ong Phei Hong

26.       Patrick Kok

27.       Russell Joel Indran

28.       Ruth Koh

29.       Ryan Cheung Hao Han

30.       Ryan Lim

31.       Samantha Yoong

32.       Samuel Quek Yixin

33.       Sharon Quek

34.       Sim Siew Hoon

35.       Sim Yen Hua

36.       Tan Khoon Lee

37.       Tan Kwee Mui

38.       Tessa Teh

39.       Timotheus Lee

40.       Woon Yee Shin

41.       Yap Yong Shen

* * *

1) Infant Baptism on Christmas Sunday, 21 Dec 14. Parents who intend to have their infants baptisedmust register by TODAY. Please email Yin Chan giving child’s name, date of birth and parents’ names and contact.

2) Members who wish to contribute finger food to the Coffee Corner Ministry can contact Sister Amy Khoo at 97962880 latest by the Wednesday of every week.

3) Lee Way Chor and family would like to thank the English & Chinese pastoral team, Session members and church for their condolences, presence and prayers during the homegoing of her mother, Mdm Ng Soo Ngoh on 14 Nov 14.

Preaching appt: Rev Wong at Maranatha BPC, 10.45am.

Vision & Mission


To build a united church family that is committed to making disciples through Salvation, Sanctification and Service, to the glory of God.

Verse for the Week

January 21 & 28 - The Power of Prayer

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. James 5:16